I Lost My Pet – What Should I Do?

  • Door County Humane Society Lost PetsCall DCHS at 920-746-1111 to report your lost pet. A staff member or volunteer will take a lost report, and ask you a series of detailed questions about your pet and where it was lost so that if found we can help reunite you as soon as possible.
  • DCHS will keep your lost report on file for 30 days. If after 30 days your pet is still missing, you may call back to renew the report.
  • Notify your local police department that your animal is loose/missing.
  • Call WDOR to file a lost report; they will announce it on the radio.
  • Search your neighborhood. Visit your neighbors to let them know your pet is missing, and put up posters.
  • Take advantage of social media by placing a post on Facebook and share it on the DCHS page and local rummage sale sites.
  • Stop by the shelter to check if your pet has been brought here. It is a good idea to call or stop by DCHS weekly to check if your animal is here.
    When your pet returns home please contact the shelter so we can remove your lost report!

Keeping a collar with identification tags on your pet at all times can help ensure his/her safe return home.

Microchipping is an effective and permanent identification option. DCHS offers microchipping by appointment for a fee of $25 for cats, dogs, and other small animals.